SANDRA AREVALO, MPH, RDN, CDN, CDE.
Sandra Arévalo is a consultant, spokesperson, cultural translator, peer reviewer and speaker with over 10 years of experience on diabetes and obesity prevention and management. She has had a leading role in the creation and development of many nutrition education programs for children and adults serving mostly Latino families in the Bronx, NY. Her previous educational and research work on obesity prevention and diabetes education with minorities have been presented at various national conferences and peer reviewed journals and featured in national and international TV and printed media. Sandra received the Nutrition Education Program of The Year Award from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in 2012 for her work around obesity prevention with children in the South Bronx. She also received an Award of Excellence from the Hispanic Medical Association for her work helping to advance Latinos in the nutrition profession in 2013. She was nominated to receive the Montefiore President’s Award in 2014 and to be Preceptor of the Year by the Academy of Nutrition in 2015. She completed her Bachelor’s in Bogota, Colombia and her Dietetic Internship and Master’s in Public Health from Hunter College in New York City. She has served as chair of the NYC Nutrition Education Network, Co-Chair for the Cultural Foods Group of the Greater New York Dietetic Association and is Active Member and Past-Chair of LAHIDAN, the interest group of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics committed to improving the nutrition of Latinos in the US.
Presentations at National Conferences
- Discovering Interdisciplinary Culturally Competent Techniques that Empower Latinos with Diabetes, Sandra Arevalo, MPH, RDN,CDN, CDE; Lorena Drago, Ms, RD, CDE. FNCE, 10/19/14
- Spanish for Dietitians. Sandra Arevalo, MPH, RD, CDN, CDE; Nicole Patience, RD, CDE. PA Nutrition Conference, 4/23/14
- Culturally Sensitive Nutrition Education, Sandra Arevalo, MPH, RD, CDE; NYCNEN 1/10/14
- Si Podemos: Empowering Underserved Communities to Achieve a Healthier Tomorrow – Sandra Arevalo, MPH, RD, CDE; NYCNEN 5/10/13
- Taking Control of Your Life – A Diabetes Presentation.
- Sandra Arevalo, MPH, RD, CDE; Lydia Concepcion, MD; Pamela Allweiss, MD, MPH; Rina Ramirez, MD;
- NCHPH 2012
- Si Podemos: Empowering Underserved Communities to Achieve a Healthier Tomorrow
- Sandra Arevalo, MPH, RD, CDE; Meliisa Pflugh Prescott, MS, RD, CDN; FNCE 2012
- Community Pediatric Programs: maternal wellness in the South Bronx. – Hackley B, Machuca H, Sharma C, Arevalo S. Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Innovative Approaches to Promoting a Healthy Weight and Mental Wellness Grantee Meeting, 2011.
- An inner city clinic’s replicable model to fight obesity from birth – Arevalo S, Machuca H, Hackley B, Applebaum J. APHA, 2011.
- Well Baby Group Care: An innovative approach to address obesity with families – Sandra Arevalo, MPH, RD; Hildred Machuca, D.O., APHA, 2011.
- Starting Right: A Pediatric Obesity Intervention in the South Bronx – Sandra Arevalo, M.P.H., R.D Marian Larkin, MD. Academy Health, 2010
- Addressing Obesity with Families: An Innovative Approach – Sandra Arevalo, MPH, RD; Hildred Machuca DO. NICHQ, 2009
Associations & Active Memberships
Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics
LAHIDAN (Latinos and Hispanics in Dietetics and Nutrition)
- Past Chair 2014-2015
- Chair 2013-2014
- Chair Elect 2012-2013
- Treasurer 2009-2012
- Reviewer for the Quarterly Newsletter.
- Regional Coordinator 2008-09 for the 7 states in the US North East.
NYCNEN (New York City Nutrition Education Network)
- Chair June 2009-2010.
- Executive Committee member since June 2007.
GNYDA (Greater New York Dietetic Association)
- Co-Chair Cultural Foods Group 2011-2012
AADE ( American Association of Diabetes Educators)
Awards & Honors
- Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, Outstanding Preceptor Of The Year Nominee, 2015
- NYC Department Of Health, Exemplary Service Award, 4/11/14
- Hispanic Medical Association, Award of Excellence, 3/29/2014
- Montefiore Hospital President’s Award Nominee, 2013.
- Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics’ Award of Excellence, Best Nutrition Education Program of the Year Award, 2012
- Hunter College’s Dietetic Intern of The Year, 2005